Designing and decorating the house interiors are undeniably two complicated tasks, but they can be learned and accomplished. Even a non-professional designer can decorate his own home or any room provided he set his mind in achieving a particular style. For instance, rather than paint the walls of the house, it might be better to just plaster some wallpaper on the walls to make the decorating process less messy and less time-consuming.
Of course, just like any job, there are also rules in interior design and decorating process needing to be followed to avoid committing costly mistakes.
Helpful Design and Decorating Tips
• Have a particular style. One of the most important rules in interior design and decorating is to know what specific design style you want to realize for the allotted space. You may have the idea inspired by the stunning room of a celebrity featured in a magazine or you want to immortalize the wonderful experience you had while staying in the fabulous resort cottage. Knowing what you want to do with the area can help determine which directions to go from start to finish.
• Set a budget. Make sure the project is attainable within the set budget. It is important to prepare a cost estimate to determine the scope of work that can be done within the financial limit. This can avoid overspending and using part of the budget appropriated for other components. It can be awkward to have a room half-undone just because you run out of funds. Make a canvass of prices to find out where to source quality but low-priced materials such as wallpaper, fabric, and furniture.
• Decide on a focal point. Find an interesting spot to establish as the core point to develop the design theme. Makes sure the wallpaper you choose would either enhance the design theme or complement it.
• Use space wisely. Arrange the furniture in a way that the use of all available space is maximized. Always measure the room dimension and use it as basis in purchasing furniture. Choose the right size of furnishings and décor items appropriate to the area. It does not make sense to get a long couch for a small living room. Make sure to create a traffic lane to provide occupants with enough space to move around without bumping or tripping over furniture.
• Coordinate the style. To make the home or room appear in harmony, find something that can complement all the elements together. It can be the color scheme or a design theme that can unify the entire room style.
• Balance the sizes. One of the vital rules in interior design and decorating job is to avoid placing furnishings that have the same size. A room consisting of bulky furniture appears small, cold, and devoid of intimacy. On the other hand, filling a space with various small things makes it cluttered and disorganized. Find the right combination of sizes that complement each other without losing their individual appeal.
• Use the right color schemes. This is particularly important when choosing the wallpapers that are going to be used in different rooms. Find the colors that can provide the right effect for a particular room. If the room is small, use light colors and vice versa. You can ask for painting demos at the paint store to help you decide the right color combination. Avoid being too neutral because it can make the room too boring. Nevertheless, avoid using bright colors as well as they can make the area seem too hot. Know how to use contrasting colors to create a more interesting atmosphere.
• Know which item to prioritize. Know what design elements need to be purchased and installed first. This means you need to buy furniture first before deciding on the color scheme for wallpapers. Keep in mind that it’s a lot easier to choose the perfect wallpapers once all the furnishings are already complete. In most cases, the furniture dictates the wallpaper color to match rather than the other way around.