Six years ago, I wrote about what a couple could do to strengthen their relationships with simple gestures, albeit for unmarried couples. And up to this day, whenever I pass by flower shops, I remember those little pieces of advice on doing such simple things and how one could be happy to be at the receiving end of gifts given. I’ve been married to my husband for seventeen years now, and it’s not as though we didn’t encounter hardships, we went through them as most couples do and it’s fine to say; we came out strong.
Let’s take a spin at those tips from before and some of the things we have been doing all these years. This time though let’s also focus on the things that a wife should do for the husband, although this article may lean to a bit more to what the husband should do for his wife. 😉
1. Open the door for her. It still works. Material gifts can make a woman’s heart flutter temporarily, it’s the unexpected gestures and the little thoughts that give a lasting impact in a woman’s book. When you arrive home together, open the door; when getting in and out of the car, open the door. Being a gentleman doesn’t cost much.
Thank him for holding the door for you. Being grateful for the simple gestures, or being grateful in general takes root in our hearts, it makes us happier.
2. Give her flowers and gifts even if there’s no occasion. Even a single rose would mean a lot. If you travel and would be away for a week or two, a rose sent home would be an extra special surprise. A box of her favorite chocolate you can’t buy locally, a souvenir from the city you visited would also be a beautiful coming-home surprise. It would let her know how much you missed her.
Bring him a shirt or trinkets he would love from your travel. If it’s your turn to travel for a while, a shirt from the city you visited would be truly appreciated. Since we are both shoeholics, we sometimes get each other shoes, especially if it’s cheaper there (Milan’s shoe sales are our favorite!).
At best, travel together.
3. Call, text, send her links to funny posts and topics she would enjoy every so often. Social media has gone so differently than what it was 6 years ago, viral videos and clips are all over many platforms, and there’d surely be one that you’ll find funny to give your girl a good laugh. There would be others that she would feel happy about, thankful for, and nostalgic about…send her those links to make her know that you think of her. There are so many messenger services nowadays, still, an SMS would probably be the fastest way to send a message across, but a call on certain times is more reassuring.
Send him lots of emojis. Be generous with heart emojis! Genuinely reply to what you feel about the messages he sent.
4. Shop together or buy necessities for the home. Men are stereotyped to not enjoy shopping as much as women do, if you go with her to buy shoes, a wedding anniversary gift for a friend, it will be truly appreciated. If you noticed that it’s the last toilet paper roll, buy some, she might not ask you to, but it is a considerate thing to do once in a while.
Don’t shop as much. Be wise when it comes to budgeting.
5. Try out food together. You might surprise each other with what you find good to the palate. Trying out food is a good adventure to start now if you haven’t yet…travelling and tasting the local cuisine is a good way to bond. Don’t forget that bottle of wine!
Cook his favourite food. Cliché as it may, but the way to a man’s heart is really through his stomach. 😉
6. Play sports together or workout even at home. Go play tennis, basketball, cycle around the city, or just go out for a swim. If there’s no time to fit both your schedules, workout together at home.
Ready his gears and protein bars. If you can’t go with him to the gym, make sure that he can quench his thirst, replenish his energy, and would be able to take a bath or change clothes later by preparing his gym bag. Even if it means waking up earlier than you used to.
7. Listen. Not to reply, but just to let her know she can tell you stuff.
Don’t nag. If it can’t be helped, just do it minimally. 😀 Communication is the key to understanding each other, basically not letting the other know the important things will cause problems. But talk in a way that will not stir up anger.
8. Look back to your beginnings. Remember the first days of getting to know each other, you will remember those days with fondness and see how much change has occurred through the years, and you’d be able to appreciate how you’ve gotten close despite the not-so-fond memories.
Date even if you feel like you’ve gotten older. It warms a person’s heart to see a couple of older people on a date (it does to me). So start now to keep a routine, so that when you’re older and senior dating is a prevalent thing, you can proudly brag about how you’ve dated each other to adulthood. It would be admirable from the point of view of those who personally know you. People may have a peculiar notion about older dating online, but at whatever age love finds you, it will just be as beautiful and exciting like other age brackets.
9. Thank each other. As mentioned above, gratitude makes us happier. To quote Melody Beattie: Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.
Having a grateful heart gives one many wonderful returns.
10. Pray. The most important of all the things a husband and wife should do, but many forget or doesn’t believe in. Ephesians 5:25 and 28 points out, “Husbands, continue loving your wives, just as the Christ also loved the congregation and gave himself up for it… In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. A man who loves his wife loves himself.” Prayer is also needed to follow this advice. What with the different personalities and beliefs, the help of the Higher being is needed to hold relationships and marriages together, as Ecclesiastes 4:12 points out: a threefold cord cannot quickly be torn apart.
There are many more ways couples can do that can draw them closer together. In summary, the love that each other have should bring about respect, honesty, loyalty, kindness, gratitude, and happiness among other virtues.